Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 26: Google Translate App

Google Translate App: Not Just for Foreign Language Classes

The app can now listen for two languages at a time and translate written text using the camera. Although this is not a new feature, I have to mention that the app does speak the word/phrase as well as show the written text. 

I am going to highlight how to use the app in the context of real classroom examples. Before I do let me start by saying, I know that there is no such thing as a perfect translation tool. I am not suggesting that you go out and write a book in another language using this app. I do however think this is a great tool to be used in an informal setting.

Example: Students can practice writing in a foreign language.
The text feature is nothing new, but definitely worth mentioning. This is a great way for students to be able to practice writing in a foreign language and getting instant feedback.

Here are some additional examples of how to use this feature:
  1. Teacher can communicate with a student who doesn't speak the language well.
  2. Students can use it as a "texting" platform to practice having a non-verbal conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment